Friday, December 18, 2009

I am not responsible for Muslim Terrorists


The other day I went to another college about an hour away to debate some kids. I say kids because at the ripe old age of 25, a college freshman now feels like a kid. Ug. I'm old. Anyway...

The topic was organized religion. They were arguing against it. I, of course, was on the pro-organized religion side.

I was only asked two days prior to do this. And, being in the middle of finals, I did not have much time to prepare. However, I spent several hours collecting my stats and figures, fulling intending to go in there and show them how the Catholic Church has made all of their non-God believing lives better. Their talking points were:
  1. Religion makes people violent and kill each other. Ex. Crusades, Inquisition, Islamic fundamentalist violence today.
  2. Religion causes intolerance of others (discrimination, inequality, repression, hatred, violence and even murder).
  3. Religion impedes scientific advancement and the overall improvement of knowledge.
Now, I must say number three made me laugh. Literally. It took one lousy Google search to come up with 10 incredible examples of how the Catholic Church advanced science. Modern genetics, chemistry...etc.

The other two however, fine. Lets debate.

I showed up the morning of dressed well, with tie and vest. I figured even if I couldn't out argue them, I could out class them.

They focused a lot on Islam. In fact, besides talking about how horrible Christianity is to oppose abortion and gay marriage, all they talked about was Islam. They spoke of terrorism and the Kuran telling you to kill infidels and beat your wife. I can't debate any of that. I think Islam can be dangerous. But I can't remember the last time I saw the Pope bomb a building. But that doesn't matter...Islam is bad, so all religion is bad,

I don't know where I am going with this, but it definitely gave me pause to stop and think. I spent most of my Catholic life arguing against Protestants...maybe I should spend more time talking with those who really need converting.

No comments:

Post a Comment