Monday, December 14, 2009

This is my rifle, this is my gun...

I spent four years in the United States Marine Corps. I don't really know why I did it, but in hindsight I am glad that I did.

I remember myself, about eight years ago, graduating high school and wondering the same question I often ask myself now - "What am I going to do with my life?" Lucky for me, at that point in my life I had a great delaying tactic...the military.

It all began, like most stories do, with yelling and getting my rear end beat day after day at Parris Island. Those days seem like a haze of screaming, running, and wishing I had some sweet and sour pork. With fried rice. And lo mein. Maybe a few egg rolls on the side.

The next several years I spent most of my time doing my job and trying to stay out of trouble. I got promoted several times...then they expected me to yell at people. I tried it, but the whole chain of screaming seemed so silly to me I usually just punished the guys under me with extra work. Making veins pop out of my neck just isn't my style.

I got to see several different countries - including the beautiful beaches of Iraq! Of course, no matter how far we walked we never got to the ocean. I am starting to wonder if it is really a beach at all...

So, when all is said and done, I have lots of stories to tell and some great things to put on my resume. Plus, free college. I also get to make fun of the Army and Air Force and feel good doing it. Not to mention I get to "casually" bring it up in conversation to impress new people I meet. Yeah...I guess it was a good life decision. Just don't ask me to reenlist. Not a chance in h-e-double hockey sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment